How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100050
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchase a condo unit in an older building. It was

Customer Question

Good Afternoon,
I purchase a condo unit in an older building. It was renovated by the gentleman I purchased it from. (It used to be a rental apartment complex). He gutted the kitchen & bathroom, added in-suite laundry & in the process did all this with out pulling permits, or having his work inspected. I have since had to replace the electrical at my own cost to fix what he had done. This in total has cost me close to $8,000 if you include all the meals we had to eat out because we had no use of our kitchen. I was not provided the renovation documents along with the condo docs at the time of purchase. I have been told I am a lost cause & I have no grounds for a claim against the seller. What is your advise?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry this happened to you.

Generally the law with respect to the purchase of homes is that the purchaser has the right to inspect the home for defects. If the Purchaser decides to buy the home then generally the law can be summed up by the well known phrase "buyer beware." The legal phrase for this is the Latin phrase caveat emptor.

However, at the same time the Vendor is not permitted to misrepresent, fail to disclose or actively try to hide defects.

As well the vendor has a duty to disclose a latent defect if it's substantial. This usually includes defects that render the premises uninhabitable or unfit for the use the Purchaser is planning for. It would also include the situation where the cost to repair is going to be substantial as well.

Your next step then may be to sit down with a lawyer and review all the relevant facts with the lawyer. Bring in all the documentation of course, including the inspection report. It may be that you will have a case against the Vendor or the inspector.

Related Canada Law Questions