How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100996
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A charitable organization in 1980 allowed us to move a 2

Customer Question

A charitable organization in 1980 allowed us to move a 2 story house onto their lakefront property stating by letter that the house and outbuildings are our property.
Now that the charity is under new management they want us to vacate and gift the house and outbuildings to them with no compensation to us.
Is this O.K.?
Is there not a "declaration of land hold" in Alberta that we can sue the charity?
Need your advise.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

They can ask you to donate the buildings but they cannot force you to do so.

There is a binding contract and you own the buildings so to think they can just have them if they say they want them is not appropriate and won't work as they simply do not have the right to own those buildings.

I suggest you retain a lawyer and have the lawyer send them a letter asserting your rights and stating that you will let a court decide if necessary.