How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101444
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an American student loan that is hurting me

Customer Question

I have an American student loan that is hurting me financially. I am Canadian, living in Canada. Not sure what to do. I was advised by American Lawyer that the path of least residence would be to just stop paying my loans but he advised a second opinion from Canada. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

The law in Canada doesn't really apply here.

All I can explain is what will happen if you are sued.

If you are sued in the U.S. the judgment can be enforced here. It can be registered with a Court and then will have the same force as if it was rendered in Canada. That means your wages can be garnished or your assets seized.

But I don't know what happens in the US and whether you will be sued or not. That is what the US lawyer should be telling you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't rate your service because your answer brought up a whole whack of questions. Do you have any suggestions on who I can contact for further help on this matter?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

You don't have to rate me until we are done.

What are your questions that relate to the law in Canada?

In terms of whom you can contact do you mean in the US? If not I am not sure what you mean so just explain a bit more.