How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a strata property in, BC. I have rented this property

Customer Question

I own a strata property in Langley, BC. I have rented this property for the past six years. In May of this year, the strata has changed its bylaws on rentals. I have listed the property for sale for more than 3 months and it's not selling. It is priced at a fair market value which is way below the mortgage on the property. If the property sells, I will be losing about $30,000. I have explained my situation to them and they have refused to allow rental. If nothing works out, I will have to foreclose on the property as I can't afford to pay two mortgages. What should I do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Who said you do not qualify for undue hardship?

Did the Strata not consider grandfathering those who have been renting out their units?

Do you have a tenant that was there before the change who is still renting now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tenants moved out in January this year. I pleaded to them about grandfathering and they refused. I sent them financial bank statements and they declined.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Did they give you a hearing?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Did you ask for a hearing?

What was the process that they followed?