How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101369
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am living in a rent to own with my spouse and 2 children.

Customer Question

I am living in a rent to own with my spouse and 2 children. I am house poor and want to separate - can I just walk away with my children as history of mental, emotional abuse and physical abuse of my son - he's 8 and was shaken by his father who is 6ft4 and 375 pounds
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Has this abuse been reported at all?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it has not. I am wondering if I should report but not sure how or to who.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

If you have to leave the home for safety reasons then you can leave with your child. If there is abuse this could be grounds for leaving.

You could call the police or child protection services.

Otherwise it could be considered to be parental abduction if you leave without an agreement or court order.

It seems to me that your best next step is to consult with a family lawyer face to face and before doing anything else.

In most provinces you can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.