Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am living in a rent to own with my spouse and 2 children.

Customer Question

I am living in a rent to own with my spouse and 2 children. I am house poor and want to separate - can I just walk away with my children as history of mental, emotional abuse and physical abuse of my son - he's 8 and was shaken by his father who is 6ft4 and 375 pounds
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Has this abuse been reported at all?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it has not. I am wondering if I should report but not sure how or to who.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

If you have to leave the home for safety reasons then you can leave with your child. If there is abuse this could be grounds for leaving.

You could call the police or child protection services.

Otherwise it could be considered to be parental abduction if you leave without an agreement or court order.

It seems to me that your best next step is to consult with a family lawyer face to face and before doing anything else.

In most provinces you can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.