How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100383
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband of one year beat me so I had m arrested. He has

Customer Question

My husband of one year beat me so I had him arrested. He has also had an affair which I walked in on. We have been living in his house since Oct/2013. I have spent several thousands of dollars renovating the home. What am I entitled to financially from a divorce? I was not allowed access to his funds and he made me pay $800 a month for rent.
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear this. Did you live together first and if so for how long?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I moved into his home Oct/2013
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We were married on August 15,2014
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

You will not be entitled to much by way of asset division. The relationship, including the marriage and the time of cohabitation, was very short.

If you contributed to the value of the house that would count to some extent perhaps. That is particularly the case because you were paying rent as well.

At the very most and it's a long shot, you would share in the increase in value of the house over the course of the relationship. Or you could at least get the costs for the renovations back.

I am very sorry this happened to you and that you are in this difficult situation.

Related Canada Law Questions