How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100382
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The town of gh River Has over the years added gravel to the

Customer Question

The town of High River Has over the years added gravel to the alley behind my property, to the point that the water from the other side of the alley flood first the alley and then drains on my property and now floods my garage floor and surrounding space. Is there a law or by-law that could be used to help rectify this problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

I cannot know what by-laws there are and this is something to call by-law enforcement about.

But the law is, and this is from common law, that if someone, even a city, harms you or damages your property they are required to compensate you for the damage and to take steps to ensure this will not happen again.

So the city has to rectify this and if the floods have caused you damage then they have to compensate you and if they will not you can sue them.

Related Canada Law Questions