How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101369
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was injured (broken leg requiring 2 surgeries and

Customer Question

My son was injured (broken leg requiring 2 surgeries and lost & damaged teeth) during a PE class when in grade 10. He ran into a concrete picnic table that was in the middle of the path that the class was sent running on. He is now 23 and the dental work that was done at the time has failed and he is required to have a bone graft and dental implants to prevent further loss of teeth. The hospital failed to take x-rays of his head. The dentist determined that he had broken his jaw and it had never healed thereby "eating away" the calcium from the repaired teeth causing them to fall out. No claim has ever been filed.
My son is now 22 (23 in Nov). Can he still file a claim? against the school district? against the hospital/emerg doc?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We live in BC and the accident took place in BC.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

When did your son discover this new information?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
about Sept 2014
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Shortly before his 22nd birthday
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

It seems it may not be too late to sue because he has to sue within 2 years of discovering the claim.

I don't know if he can prove the school was negligent but it sure sounds like the doctor may have been.

His next step would be to consult with a lawyer as soon as possible, face to face. He should bring all the records he has with him to the consultation.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I assume he needs a personal injury lawyer?
or is there another "title" we should be looking for?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

It may be better to see a medical malpractice lawyer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Thanks.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome.