Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

There are 3 children in our immediate family. My step father

Customer Question

There are 3 children in our immediate family. My step father adopted us when we were toddlers and then him and my mother had a 3rd daughter. Recently my grandmother on my father's side passed away and since my father predeceased her a couple of years ago, his inheritance goes to our youngest sister. We were sent a copy of the will showing that we were not included. As we are his legal/adopted children do we have any recourse to dispute the will?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Does the will specify that the inheritance goes to your youngest sister?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The will specifies her son but in the event of his death it then goes to his child (youngest sister) and no mention to his two adopted children although they were sent the letter but no mention of them at all. Her lawyer mailed the letter and if it was being disputed their is a time line in which to contest
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The Will governs what will happen. This woman was not fair but she was clear and her wishes though unethical and heartless perhaps will govern if this ends up in Court as she had the right to leave her estate to whomever she wanted to.

The children should confirm this with their own lawyer but I personally cannot see any way they can contest this unfortunately.