Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My sister and kids are here in Dallas, Texas on a B1/B2 visa

Customer Question

My sister and kids are here in Dallas, Texas on a B1/B2 visa for a 3 weeks vacation. I am a Permanent Resident and wish to visit Canada with her and her kids for a week. Can she get a Canadian Visa from here to enable us visit Canada for a week?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  jludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

What country are they from, they may not need a visa?

Judith

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nigeria
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please do refer us to someone who is online now so we would know if we need to buy our tickets or not.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

It is possible that your sister and her children can get a visitor's visa to come to Canada from the US.

But, there is no guarantee so you would have to first determine whether the visa will be granted before buying nonrefundable tickets.

There is also no guarantee that you can get the visas as quickly as you would like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Legal,Just need clarification of what you mean by "first determine whether the visa will be granted". Do you mean applying for it first? What are the requirements? When is visa granted and when is it not granted? They have had several US visas for the past 6 years and have visited US every year,
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

They will likely get the visas because they have a history of traveling.

Canada Immigration will want to see strong ties to Nigeria. So your sister should show proof of employment if she is employed, family in Nigeria, a home, strong ties to the community etc.

Yes I do mean apply for it first because visas are not always easy to get especially from some countries.

The problem is that there is a lot of discretion both on the part of the CIC staff member who is reviewing the application and also on the part of the border officer.

Your sister and children won't be let in if the officer thinks they will overstay their visit.