How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101381
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 53 and have been told that skilled worker entry to

Customer Question

I am 53 and have been told that skilled worker entry to Canada would be difficult and that only real chance is thru investor programme. True?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Who told you this, and what province were you thinking of immigrating to?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was an immigration service that I googled in North Vancouver. We would like to come to BC.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

The federal investor category no longer exists.

It is possible that you could be nominated under the BC Provincial Nomination Program as an investor.

Here is a link to the information that you will need:

At the same time, it still is possible at your age to gain permanent residency in Canada through the Express Skilled Worker Program through the federal government. It is more prudent for you to have a consultation with an immigration lawyer than with an immigration consultancy firm. An experienced immigration lawyer can best advise you as to what the pros and cons are to each approach.

To find a lawyer you can contact the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $25.

The number is:
(###) ###-####or 1.***-***-****.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is different from what the CIC website says. The investor visa programme has reopened and you need to invest a minimum of 200,000 according to them. I am getting so much mixed info I do not know who to believe.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

The regular program is closed. There is a new pilot program which is very limited and it is a one year test where they will allow 60 applications to be processed while another 60 remain on the waiting list. It is not likely that you would be able to take advantage of this pilot program at this point in time. But this is why you need to meet with an actual immigration lawyer face to face.

Here is a link to the information about the pilot project: