How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99980
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I drive to Canada with my passport and take some

Customer Question

Can I drive to Canada with my passport and take some household goods to my friend..and where are the border crossings? (I will be going from TN)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I can only answer the legal aspects. Should I go ahead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you planning to visit with your friend and give them those goods? Or what is the plan, exactly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am planning to visit my friend and give him the goods
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to go to an appointment...please send answer to email and I will contact you later...thank you
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If you are planning to leave these goods in Canada then you will have to declare them at the border crossing and pay duty on their value.

The bigger issue you may have is proving to the border service officer that you are not intending to move to Canada yourself. As you are a US citizen (I am assuming that) you do not need a Visa to visit Canada but, if you are suspected as being someone who is planning to move to Canada without legal status you will be turned away at the border. For this reason, it is vital that you be prepared to show strong ties to home. Be prepared to show proof of employment, proof of a home, family, and other ties to the community.

Let me know if you need any further information.

Related Canada Law Questions