How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100466
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to decide how to proceed when our neighbour

Customer Question

I am trying to decide how to proceed when our neighbour acusses us of being a cat killer. I have just come back from a prolonged vacation and while i was cutting the grass in my back yard i heard the neighbour yell out that we are cat killers. Shae then used my name when she yelled it out a second time. Also she has now posted a "Cat Killer" "go to hell " sign in the garage window that faces our yard.
I have never hurt an animal in my life and i don't know where she is assuming we had anything to do with it. As a matter of fact i am not even sure if there cat is in fact dead, but if she is making a statement to that affect i have to assume it is.
This is a neighbour we has stated other accusations to me and my family in the past, as a result we try not correspond with them if we dont have to.
What is the best way to proceed in this case as i do not appreciate the statements she is say and printing. Further to that i am afriad that them may do something to our new golden retriever.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

It may be time to retain a lawyer to send this woman a letter. The letter would demand that these defamatory statements and the harassment cease and desist and would threaten a lawsuit for damages.

And it would be prudent to put in another report to the police. If she continues in this way the police may consider speaking to her or eventually charge her with harassment.

As well, if the letter doesn't work you may be able to obtain a restraining order if you can show this harassment is persistent so keep a log of all that she says and does.

Related Canada Law Questions