How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100382
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having a lot of trouble with my landlord this is a

Customer Question

Hello I am having a lot of trouble with my landlord this is a commercial/industrial space I rented July 1 2015 he keeps going in my unit and takes things When I applied to lease the property it had no power or water and he put in the lease he will do it "as time allows" it is now August and nothing He is now threatening me telling me I didnt pay Aug but I did when I signed the lease with a bank draft. I prepaid July Aug and last month plus 2 months security. Can I stop him from coming by or going in? Can I stop him from trying to evict me for rent thats been paid? I tried to get a lawyer here but they want a 3500 retainer I cant afford This is a 1 yr lease and a landlord from hell.. I am thinking of just moving but not sure if he will try and lock me out this week
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

There are certainly other lawyers who would agree to send to the landlord a letter without being retained and without your having to pay that amount of money.

The phrase used in the lease was not a good idea. It gives the landlord a lot of leeway which he should not have.

The landlord is not legally entitled to enter the premises without good reason unless the lease allows him to do so and he certainly cannot take things from your unit.

I suggest that you do retain a lawyer to send him a letter threatening a lawsuit. A letter from a lawyer is not usually expensive and often does the trick.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-####(within the GTA)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Taking things I mean he asks how much something is he wants... then when Im gone takes it and then when I ask to get paid he says " you gave it to me " He has even taken a back rack and light bar off one of my trucks...
Also I have tried to ask him to tell me the say before he goes in my unit and that I want to be there he ignores meI cant install an alarm or cameras as I have no power/electricityYes i have gone to laywer for the 30 min free and they told me what you just did except yours wasnt free
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

If he is stealing things for me than for sure call the police.

You need to call around to various lawyers. There are lawyers who don't have very many clients who will be very happy to write a letter for you for about $200.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great thanks so I have to spend hundreds to thousands of dollars to protect my stuff against a crooked landlord that knows its to expensive for me to take it to court
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Basically like I said I got all this from a free consult not sure what I was expecting to hear from here but I guess its a website and I should have just asked the neighbor.
Thanks for your time
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Firstly, if there is a right answer whether you pay for it or not, whether you find out in person or not, the answer is still the only answer you can get.

Also, I am only suggesting that you pay a lawyer to write a letter. I am in no way suggesting that you pay thousands of dollars. If you have to sue the landlord you can self represent can sue for up to $25,000 in Small Claims Court.

I also suggested calling the police, which of course will not cost you anything and may actually work on its own.

Related Canada Law Questions