How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3573
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I go back to my maiden name after my husbands death???

Customer Question

can I go back to my maiden name after my husbands death???
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 2 years ago.

Hello, thank you for the question. Name changes can be complicated. What province are you in?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why is it taking so long i am getting scared i will loose my money
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I don't do phone calls. It doesn't help you. By writing, we're both clear on what's been communicated and you can refer to it later at any time.

The death of a spouse is certainly a triggering event for a name change. You should have no problem changing your name.

Go to this government publication and look at pages 6-7which give some basic information on how to go about it.

In some provinces, changing a name needs the permission of the authorities. It appears that in Saskatchewan, the death of a spouse will allow you to change the name without any serious difficulty.

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 2 years ago.

Your deposit is still being held by the site. No need to worry.

Anything else about this you'd like to discuss? If so then please reply. If we're finished, then I'll ask you to please rate the service positively so that I get credit for helping you today.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can i get my money back as i see it is free
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 2 years ago.

Your money is still on deposit. You can get it back by asking customer service for a refund. Or you can keep it for when you want to ask other questions, or you can spend it by rating the service so that the site and expert share the fee. It's up to you. The site runs on the honour system that satisfied customers will pay for professional attention and then come back.