Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

New patio door was installed as part of exterior upgrades on

Customer Question

New patio door was installed as part of exterior upgrades on my condo. The new door is smaller than the existing door so the distance from the floor inside the condo up to the bottom of the door is now greater than it used to be. Without asking permission or even advising me, the homeowner, a construction worker entered my home and built a wooden "step" and cut the baseboard and affixed the step to the wall with huge screws... and I am told this HAD to be done for safety as the height to step out of the window was dangerous and might cause someone to trip.
Did they have the right? Do I have to accept this step? Not only is it ugly, poorly constructed but the drapes no longer close and all this after I just installed new flooring.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

Is the step inside the condo and so in the area clearly owned by you or is it part of the common area?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Inside my condo...not outside in the common area
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

They do not have the right to simply enter your premises without appropriate notice or consent as there was no emergency and they did not have the right to install anything in your home without your express consent.

I suggest that you demand they rectify the situation at once and so that there is no damage caused by what they did.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The factual information I am looking for is whether the building code in Alberta has a height restriction when stepping out of a patio door. That is, is there a legal requirement that the distance between the floor and the "landing/ground level" when stepping through a patio door be no more than a certain amount? This is what the condo board is using as the "emergency" to build a step inside my unit after installing a new patio door.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.

I cannot review the building code. That is too detailed in terms of expecting an answer on this site.

But maybe another lawyer will want to answer so I will opt out.