How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101375
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm in a condo and am replacing my furnace. I want to vent

Customer Question

I'm in a condo and am replacing my furnace. I want to vent it out the front to my carport because to vent out the back costs more and requires my deck be torn out and ceiling in the finished part of the basement taken down. There are other units vented in the front but the board is denying me.what can they do if I vent out front
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
What is their reasoning for agreeing to allow others to do this but not you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apparently they didn't ask permission although with the number of units I saw with the vents out front I can't imagine all of them did so without asking.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
The law is that the condo corp, ie, the Board, has a duty to treat all owners the same. They are required to enforce the by-laws fairly and consistently. So they cannot treat you differently than other owners.I suggest you tell them that and essentially threaten to retain a lawyer, or, do retain a lawyer and have the lawyer threaten a lawsuit. They may very well back down.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If they continue to refuse what are my next steps? If I were to go ahead anyway, as I am without AC until I have it fixed, what could they do?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Your next step would be to sue them. If you go ahead they could make you rip it out so I don't suggest you do that, at least not before consulting with your own lawyer face to face.