How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101376
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We had just bought a duplex, and are paying

Customer Question

We had just bought a duplex, and are paying for the utilities in the tenants unit, 20,000 in debt from the wedding. We have been living together for 4 years, but now that we're married, she wants my income too, even though our expenses went up. We also
get the kids for Christmas and summer holidays, she doesn't pay us cold support during those times. Will any of this affect the amounts paid. She has also said in emails, that I will have no say in the kids upbringing. She had signed numerous of documents
saying she wasn't getting hold support, although she is getting more than 25,000 a year. She doesn't pay her own way to bring the kids to us, we pay for their school supplies, most of their clothing, and all of their sorting costs. and she doesn't pay medical
bills for them. Can that be considered as payments for child support? We have receipts for everything.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Your post is not clear. Are you saying that the children are your spouse's and the mother doesn't want you to have any decision making rights?And she wants more support now? What is your spouse's gross annual income? What province is this?How many kids are there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So had asked a question prior to his one, I thought it was the same person. We had just totem married, now she says she wants more money, because it is a double income. He makes roughly 130,000 a year. He pays all expenses of the home, and our tenants utilities/maintenance. I pay for groceries, and things for the home. She gets about 25,000 a year for three kids. And she has beiwn lying to the government about this money to get more, and she as gone back to school, she lied to get more funding. We live in the Nwt (living costs are quite expensive) and she lives in Lethbridge with her boyfriend who is also working. She had made it clear that I will have no say in their upbringing, but now she wants me to pay child support. Will I have to? Can she ask for more than what she's getting? And can she get in trouble for lying about the money she has been getting? She is only doing this because we had gotten married, she's upset about it, we got married less than 2 weeks ago. Is there anyway we can keep the child support payments as they are?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we are now also trying to pay off our wedding, we have appliances that suddenly are crapping out on us, we need the extra money incase of home emergencies, for our home and that if our tenant. Will this be take into consideration? Also, can we also ask for retro pay for the child support we should've been receiving for the time we have the kids?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
How do you know she is lying to the government and what is the lie exactly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She told my husband not to claim on his taxes that he is giving her child support, but every pay and in between payments he send her money and buys gear for the kids. She told him in emails (he has these emails saved) saying that it would screw everything up for her. People are saying she can get charged for this. Is that true. Because she is getting more for child tax and school funding by claiming she isn't getting support from him. Now she's claiming her live in boyfriend wants to beat my husband up, because of all of this court stuff.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
There are many issues here. First, child support is not income and does not need to be reported to the CRA. In fact it is incorrect to report this. Spousal support is income and must be reported if it is paid pursuant to a written separation agreement or court order and is paid periodically. Perhaps that is what your friends are confused about. Second, if the boyfriend is making threats to commit bodily harm then call the police. Next, your income has no relevance and your spouse most assuredly does not have to pay higher child support because he married you and you certainly don't have to support these children. Finally, you don't have any rights to make decisions about the children unless you get a court order granting you these rights and there is little possibility of your succeeding in that case but you can certainly have your spouse consult with you about decisions and he can use your input to help him come to decisions and then provide his decision or input to the mother. Let me know if I missed something.