How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99929
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I quit my job within a week of being hired. I then filed a

Customer Question

I quit my job within a week of being hired. I then filed a labour claim against my employer as he did not pay me for two days. This happened in April. Now in late July he has replied to the labour board claim saying that he is going to contact the police and state that I stole from him and has said that I lied about my job qualifications- and that I was a lier. My question is...should I contact the police first and tell them what happened before he does?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
What is the theft allegation about ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a body piercer. He is saying that I stole body jewelry.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Did he only accuse you of this now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I quit April 28th. I filed the claim one week later.
I just received the paperwork from the ministry of labour today. In the paperwork he advised the claim adjuster that I stole jewelry and he would be reporting it to the police ASAP and would then provide her with the police report number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea if he did or if he will- he's a slime bucket so I would like to be prepared.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Then you can speak to the police and say you are worried that an angry former employer is threatening to make a false report because you filed a complaint.
You can say you are scared about that and so want to talk to them about it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. So is this your legal expert opinion that I should contact the police?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can do nothing else?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Yes I think you should be proactive and contact the police. Or else you can retain a lawyer to assist you in speaking to the police and warning that former employer that a false allegation will get him sued.

Related Canada Law Questions