How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are legally separated since 2004. We have

Customer Question

My husband and I are legally separated since 2004. We have 2 sons 20 and 25 this August. He has had a massive stroke and may die or may live 10 years in a state of incapacity. He has just retired and is collecting federal pension but not CPP Our sons may still need considerable financial support. What are my options? I'm not looking to swoop in just to be aware as his sister is trying take control of his estate and I'm not comfortable with her financial judgement in the best interest of our sons after their father is fully provided for
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Do you have an order or an agreement about child support? Has he been providing support either directly or indirectly to your sons? Is your former spouse mentally competent?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The boys are past the age of child support unless they return to school
Older Son lives with him part time works in camp jobs rest of time. Younger lives full time with me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is not mentally competent and will not be
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Before the stroke had he signed a Power of Attorney? Is the 25 year old willing to step in and be in charge of the father's care and estate?