How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2415
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a reference check reveals an old crime that in the 1960's

Customer Question

if a reference check reveals an old crime that in the 1960's resulted in a 'warning' but today would add the offender to the sex offenders list will or can the individual be put on the list
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
No. That cannot happen.
What do you mean by a reference check?
More facts please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am considering purching a home in a mobile home park they say all purchasers need to be approved by them and they require 72 hours and $400 to do a background check. I believe this is through as it is near a air force base. My concern is if he police check reviles the offence if they (the police) can put me on the sex offenders list because of the old crime.
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
I do not believe that can happen.
You do not have an old crime conviction. Obviously something happened and you were warned whether you agreed to the circumstances or not. But that is not a conviction that can be registered.
In order to be registered, a court must have received a guilty plea or a conviction after a trial. Otherwise, it is a mere accusation that cannot be registered.
On your facts, I do not see a worry.

Related Canada Law Questions