How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101008
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother lived and died in Scotland and has left me a moderate

Customer Question

my mother lived and died in Scotland and has left me a moderate amount of money. As I live in Canada, do I pay taxes here as well as to the British government?>
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I can only answer about the law in Canada. Should I go ahead? I can move this question to the UK law list, but no one there can provide the answer with respect to the law in Canada.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess it's specifically the transfer of money from the UK to Canada. I understand her estate will automatically pay the 50% tax due in the UK before any monies are distributed. Yes, what would happen to it when it is transferred here?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
In Canada there is no inheritance tax so you don't pay any tax when you get paid your inheritance. You will only be taxed on any income earned after the money is transferred to you. If you pay tax on that in the UK then you would get a foreign tax credit for any taxes paid in the UK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
good to know. Thank you
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.