How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101416
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm Divorced.. Live in Ontario. Canada.. I have 2 daughters... One

Customer Question

I'm Divorced.. Live in Ontario. Canada.. I have 2 daughters...
One 28 yrs old who is finished School and Working...
The other 22 yrs old just finished University... but went overseas 6 month School program...
When are my Legal obligations for Child Support payments to end...
How do I go about doing that... Monthly Payments still ongoing to (FRO) Family Responsibility Office.. Please give me some guidelines for my situation...
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Are you still paying support for the 28 year old?What is the 6 month overseas school program for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This support Order has been in place since 1998 for my two Daughters... via Court Order...
Family Responsibility Office (FRO) still taking payments since day One..From the Original Agreement for Both Girls...
So I'm still paying for both.. The 22 yr old ... She's Finished School here in Canada and Graduated....
Went overseas for 6 months in Japan on some Paid program from School for some extra credits......
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
It's not perfectly clear whether support still must be paid for the 22 year old but if the credits would assist her in her career path or if they assist her in getting into some graduate program it may be that she would be entitled to support for those 6 months. But it is possible a court would say after her one degree she is on her own. The 28 year old is not entitled to support. You will have to bring an application to the court by way of motion to vary the existing order so support can end for both kids. It seems like you may be entitled to a retroactive reimbursement if you have been paying too much support since the 28 year old graduated. Once you get the order you would register it with the FRO. Here is a link to the information you will need about varying the order: