Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I'm Divorced.. Live in Ontario. Canada.. I have 2 daughters... One

Customer Question

I'm Divorced.. Live in Ontario. Canada.. I have 2 daughters...
One 28 yrs old who is finished School and Working...
The other 22 yrs old just finished University... but went overseas 6 month School program...
When are my Legal obligations for Child Support payments to end...
How do I go about doing that... Monthly Payments still ongoing to (FRO) Family Responsibility Office.. Please give me some guidelines for my situation...
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Are you still paying support for the 28 year old?What is the 6 month overseas school program for?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This support Order has been in place since 1998 for my two Daughters... via Court Order...
Family Responsibility Office (FRO) still taking payments since day One..From the Original Agreement for Both Girls...
So I'm still paying for both.. The 22 yr old ... She's Finished School here in Canada and Graduated....
Went overseas for 6 months in Japan on some Paid program from School for some extra credits......
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
It's not perfectly clear whether support still must be paid for the 22 year old but if the credits would assist her in her career path or if they assist her in getting into some graduate program it may be that she would be entitled to support for those 6 months. But it is possible a court would say after her one degree she is on her own. The 28 year old is not entitled to support. You will have to bring an application to the court by way of motion to vary the existing order so support can end for both kids. It seems like you may be entitled to a retroactive reimbursement if you have been paying too much support since the 28 year old graduated. Once you get the order you would register it with the FRO. Here is a link to the information you will need about varying the order:http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/divorce/support/motions_to_change_EN.pdf