How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99954
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother was on a provincial disability number of years

Customer Question

My brother was on a provincial disability for a number of years and was recently terminated when he turned 65 and started receiving his Canada pension and OAS. He passed away up North in the wilderness although he lived in Prince George. The ministry took care of his cremation. As far as we know there was no will. My sister & I both live elsewhere and are not well. We also have a brother who travels a lot and is not interested in looking after his estate. He had nothing much anyway, an older car maybe a 1999 buick and some household items. It would seem to be the decent thing to contact his landlord but other than that we are not willing to be involved in processing his estate. I just spent over a year on my mothers and don't feel equipped to tackle another. What happens now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for your loss and for this difficult situation. No one is under any obligation to do a thing. You can, as a courtesy only, let the landlord know that your brother has died and you can also say there is no estate, no Will, no executor and the landlord is free to do what he wants with your brother's belongings. The landlord cannot go after you or your siblings if rent is owing.

Related Canada Law Questions