Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My husband and I have been separated since October 26, 2014.

Customer Question

My husband and I have been separated since October 26, 2014. Our son just turned 18 and graduated grade 12 in June of 2015. I am wanting to know if I am entitled to spousal support.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I need a lot more of the basic facts first. What province do you live in ?How long were you married for?Did you live together first? Does your spouse earn more than you do? If so has this always been the case?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We live in Alberta, we were married for 20 years (October 8, 1994), Yes we lived together for approximately a year before we were married. and Yes he makes more that I do. No, while he was getting his journymenship in electrical I made more than him for 3 years.
Since he got his Journeyman's qualifications he has been making significantly more than me.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
You will most likely be entitled to spousal support. Your marriage is considered to be lengthy which means that support would like go on indefinitely and after such a lengthy marriage the goal of the court would be to equalize your incomes. At this point you best next step would be to consult with a family lawyer. You've been separated for many months now and if you are managing without support it will become harder and harder to get an order for support as time goes on.