How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100941
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a u.s citizen i have bean dating a women from Lachine

Customer Question

hello i am a u.s citizen i have bean dating a women from Lachine qc for 12 years and have bean coming back and fourth with no issues for the 12 years until Saturday july 18 2015 we went down to the u.s in my girlfriends car i left my car at her place went through u.s customs like usual with no issues on the way back to Canada the canadien customs pulled us in and took me inside and asked me all kinds of questions anyways they are saying i spend to much time and think that i am living in quebec so they refused me entry so sunday i went to immigration and told them what had happened and showed them taxe returns check stubbs and everything that i have to show that i am a u.s citizen i would like to know what do i have to do to get a work visa or what i need to be able to come back and fourth freely to be able to spend as much time as i can with my familily until the time is right for me and my girlfriend to get married
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry this happened to you. By stating you want to move to Quebec you caused the office to believe you may not go back if you enter Canada. It is not about being a US citizen and paying taxes. To be able to enter Canada as a visitor you have to show you have strong ties to back home such as a job, a home, a family, ties to the community etc. You cannot live in Canada without legal status and that is likely what the officer was assuming you have been doing. As a visitor you cannot go up and back freely unless you are going for short visits only. Once it looks like you are living in Canada at some point it is inevitable that you will be stopped. If you get a work permit that will solve the problem for the time you have the permit. It will not be extended indefinitely though. You will need a job offer first.The way it works isn't really that complicated.What has to happen is this:Your potential employer has to apply to the government for what is called a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). What this entails is the government reviewing the job market to ensure that there is a shortage of Canadians to fill your job. You cannot take a job away from a Canadian.So, you have to have a skill, or work experience, in an area where Canada needs workers and there aren't' enough Canadians who have that skill or work experience.If that's the case then the government will give the employer a positive LMIA.Then you can apply for the work permit.You will need to prove your credentials and also need to undergo background, medical and criminal checks.If all goes well you will get the permit.Here's the webpage that has all the information you will need including the forms and information about the fees: