How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101379
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am non Canadian and applied visa in Toronto,

Customer Question

I am non Canadian and applied for British visa in Toronto, alongwith my family (wife and two kids). I am requesting them to return my travel documents since last 10 days, but there is no reply about the whereabouts of my passports. What legal action can I take? Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Are you saying the British Consulate has your papers?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. We submitted it for Visa on 1 Jun. we all four received emails on 2 Jul confirming that our visas have been issued. After that we are still waiting for our documents to be returned despite my several requests to them to return them to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If it's fine with you, can I call you. My cell is(###) ###-#### *****
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I cannot speak to you on the phone. I only know the law in Canada and not in the UK.But what I suggest you do is to send them a letter, by courier or Canada Post for urgent matters that require a signature and explain in the letter that you urgently require your passports back and don't know why they are not be returned and why you are being ignored when you have tried to communicate with them. That should work as the letter will reach someone more senior than your emails or calls.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks but this is what I have already done in the first step. That's why I wanted to talk to you about the method to sue them. What you told me is a very basic step.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
You cannot sue the British Consulate in Canada. It would cost you a small fortune to sue them in the UK. Suing is not a realistic option.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks dear.
All great ideas begin as impossibilities or unrealistic or unviable etc etc.
Individuals suing state organizations and is not a far cry. If not me, I may see someone else doing it in my life time.
Thanks anyways. But that does not help with my plan of what I want to do. Best Regards.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
The goal is to get your passports back and you will get them back. But deciding to essentially sue the government of Great Britain from Canada for the passports is not sensible. Even if the government is wrong the damages are not significant and so what would the court award you?You can get replacement passports in a matter of days if necessary.