How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100049
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an aircraft maintenance engineer working as a contractor

Customer Question

I am an aircraft maintenance engineer working as a contractor for an approved maintenance organization (AMO) in BC.
I am working as a sole proprietor. Am I exposed to potential lawsuits at a personal level (my home).
Should I be a corporation?
Am I protected by the AMO?
Thanks for help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
As you are not an employee of AMO you are not protected if you are sued. Someone would sue you and AMO if they suffered damages. It would be best both to incorporate, and to have appropriate insurance. It may also be a good idea to see if AMO would sign an indemnification agreement agreeing to indemnify you (essentially reimburse you if you are sued) for any lawsuits etc.

Related Canada Law Questions