How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in my home in Ontario and rent rooms to students/others,

Customer Question

I live in my home in Ontario and rent rooms to students/others, sharing bathrooms and kitchen. I have a situation where one of my renters has been out of the room for some weeks (I was away for 2 weeks so don't know the last time she was in). I could not reach her at first, so conducted and inspection of the room. You could not see the floor, there is garbage, dirty glasses & plates, empty food containers, damage to the bed ... I took photos of everything. I contacted the renter who has been promising to come clean it up - still waiting. This person is 18. Have been unable to reach aunt or grandmother. I have other tenants and am concerned that the state of the room might be posing a health hazard. The renter paid the last month's rent along with first month on signing the rental agreement (which ends August 31) but has not paid the full rent for July. What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Does she share a bathroom and kitchen with you or just the other students? You live in the home too, right?