How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100011
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are Canadian permanent residents coming

Customer Question

Hello, my husband and I are Canadian permanent residents coming from Romania. We work as resident managers and one of our tenants keeps harassing us. He broke lots of the rule's buildings(no smoking, no pets, no office in the building) and every time we tried to remind him about the rules he said he will suite us. Now the situation turned worse and we had to have our property manager and the general manager on site to talk to him. During their talk, the tenant asked "where is the resident manager from?" and the property manager said "Romania'. And the tenant said" oh, Romania?? Now I figure out! I heard him talking in the elevator and I did not know what his problem was, but now I know. In Romania...they hate dogs there" My question is: can we accuse this person of ethnical discrimination? If yes, where do we start from? We also want to call our property manager and general manager as witnesses. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Needless to say that this situation affects our jobs and our lives as we live where we work.
Besides this, it may affect our upcoming promotion with the company as the tenant keeps denigrating us in front of our superiors
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Are you asking about suing this person?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, we are
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If you need more details: we took over the building we are taking care of in December 2013. The general rule in the building was no pets, no smoking and to use the units just for residential purposes. When we took over this tenant was already there (moved in few days prior to our coming).As we started working, we discovered several illegalities going on in that unit so we tried to approach the tenant. Every time he reacting shockingly rude in comparison with other tenants that we had to talk to, he even raised his voice at me once after they received a warning for violating the visitor stalls(we issue these o every body every time is needed) and he told me to NEVER EVER issue warnings for his jobs.
The problem became personal as he keeps threatening us with a law suit, we are really stressed if we have to meet him in the building and for a while now he keeps denigrating us in front of our managers, which leads to a total discomfort of our personal and professional lives.
We feel a huge pressure ,fear and frustration .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he told me to never ever issue warnings for his guests,sorry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have to leave but I am looking forward to seeing your answer. We need to know if we do have any chance on winning and where should we start from.Thank you and have an easy day.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anyone still there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, I am still hoping for an answer :)
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry. I was called away unexpectedly. You cannot file a complain of discrimination or sue for discrimination but there are two routes you can go. First, he is harassing you and so you can ask the police to warn him to stop and if he does not then it is possible they will charge him with harassment. Keep a log of all contacts with him and include details of what was said and when. As well you can have a lawyer send him a cease and desist letter threatening a lawsuit. And you can sue him for defamation as he is telling lies about you to others and is harming your reputation. A lawyer can write and say if this continues that is exactly what you are going to do and can also demand that he provide you with a formal written retraction and apology.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please refund the money. Dis its not answer. If not I will put charge against your site, thanks.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I don't know what you are saying or why. There is a complete answer that I provided you and I am a senior lawyer. I don't know why you cannot see the answer but it gives you several options. What is puzzling is first you said you want to charge this man and I explained exactly what you can do in terms of the police and suing and now you want to charge the site?Did you even see my answer?Are you the same person that posted earlier as it doesn't sound like it. If there are two people using this account please have the person who was writing earlier in the day review my answer.