How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100977
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Now the process has started and my sister has now hired a

Customer Question

Hi Now the process has started and my sister has now hired a lawyer and is coming after me about past money my parents have given me over the course of my life time and deducting from my share of the house? Both parent are passed. There is no mention in
the will that she can live in the Joint tenant of the family home, and saying that I was helped out in the passed. My thoughts are yes she is correct, but she lived in the house 25 years paying zero rent to my parents, and no job. My Mother had said that since
they helped me out in the past that she would get the investments, and personal property and I was ok with that. But now it seems I am being hit twice, and she is deducting the monies that my parents gave me. There was no written agreement etc. Even money
that my parents gave my kids. Helps.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
She has no right to claim gifts that were given to you. If they were loans then you do owe the money to the estate but you don't owe gifts to the estate or loans that were forgiven. And, you children most assuredly do not owe money that your mother left to them even if you do owe money to the estate. So you may need your own lawyer at this point unfortunately.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok the loans, those where not loans, only money that they gave me out of kindness, can she prove that otherwise?
She is such arhhhhhhhhh.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
She has to prove her claims and she cannot because it is not the way she says. And she is simply acting in a greedy way and when the court sees that she intends to withhold your children's inheritances then they will see what she is like.