Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I had someone who owed me money send me funds through the means

Customer Question

I had someone who owed me money send me funds through the means of PayPal. I collected the funds and withdrew them from my account as I received them over s period of 4-5 months. Now 2 months later the person who sent me the funds called their credit card company and claimed that i charged the credit card without authorization on 11 of the transactions which simply not the truth. This resulted in the c.c company contacting PayPal and PayPal reimbursing the credit card company instntly and the c,c company instantly also reimbursed their client. This resulted in PayPal withdrawing the all the funds that were alleged to be unauthorized resulting in a freeze of my account and a negative balance of over $2000. When I contacted PayPal they explained that they understood the situation and said I need to file a lawsuit against them which I turn they would then supeena the party who sent me the funds originally and said they had plenty of evidence to support my case and that it would be corrected but I would have to these steps. Now can you please help me or lead me In the right direction?!thank you
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry that this has happened to you. What province are you in? Is the person who has your money in the same province? If not, what province are they in? Are you saying that Paypal believed them without checking to see that he actually sent you the money through Paypal? Aren't you saying that this person simply sent you money each month through your Paypal account? And if so how could you be the one at fault here? Please explain a bit more as I am not following these facts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Myself and the other party both live in *****, *****tish Columbia. PayPal is saying they believe me but it is their policy to reimburnce credit card companies immedialtey who go after them. I'm not at fault but PayPal has no protection for someone who is just using PayPal as a means to collect money and only has customer protection put in place for buyers and sellers
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The other party sent me over 50 transactions repaying me in protopns at a time and decided that 11 were going to be claimed to be unauthorized after the fact and EVeN had the oadasity to send me more money after the chargebacks were made against me
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
In my view, it would be by far simpler to simply sue the person who owns you money. As you are both in the same city this is not a complicated matter. Suing Paypal is a very complicated matter. What you should do is send this person a letter, by registered mail, setting out the facts and providing him/her with a deadline for paying you in full. In the letter state that if he/she fails to comply you will immediately commence legal proceedings and will then be seeking interest and your costs. You can then sue this person in Small Claims Court and self represent. If it gets that far you can always post on this site again if you find that you need some help and I can assist you further as you go through this process.