How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100382
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife signed up business school on line and she signed

Customer Question

My wife signed up for a business school on line and she signed a contract using email. How enforceable. is the contract? How do they collect across an international border?All of this is providing she defaults. At this time she is unable to continue the payments and the school has not delivered any results like they said they would. I thought it was a scam right from the start and it seemed like an MLM a lot of RAh RAH rah with little substance. One of their first pieces of advice get this was tofind an alternative source of quickcash lol
I guess pushing drugs or laundering money for the mob are just a couple of options.
she has lost $3000 to them already and as a fledgling entrepreneur she just can't afford them anymore. suggestions/
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
In Canada almost all agreements, even verbal agreements, are binding. The only exception would be for the sale of property. And in this case, there is an agreement in writing because the agreement is by way of email so there is no doubt that this contract would be legally binding.There are ways that legally binding contracts can be set aside by a court. One way is if there was material misrepresentation regarding what your spouse was going to get. Another reason for a court to set aside a contract would be if your spouse was unduly pressured. Yet another way would be if the other party breached the contract by not providing what it was to provide pursuant to the provisions of the contract.So, based on your initial post it seems that it may be possible for your spouse to convince the court that she is not getting what she paid for because it looks like she's not getting anything from school at this point in time.I don't know where the business is but generally a contract will provide for where a dispute must be resolved and even if they can sue her in the other country they could seek to enforce a judgment against her in Alberta. However, that is generally expensive to do and so it may be that they will not bother to sue her if she doesn't continue to pay them. It really would depend on how large they are, how much money they are owed etc.Does that clarify the situation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks great and well thought out response. Answered my question perfectly
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. Take good care.

Related Canada Law Questions