Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

If my daughter who is landed immigrant sponsors me how long

Customer Question

If my daughter who is landed immigrant sponsors me how long would it take? Also, would she be sponsoring me as a parent? The reason I ask is because I know that Canada only takes 5000 grandparents as immigrants per year. If Guy and I get married, and he
sponsors me how long would that take?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
A spousal sponsorship will take close to three years from the US. You would have to try and apply for the parent sponsorship as soon as the program reopens but in the meantime you can get a supervisa and that can allow you to remain in Canada as a visitor for two years. Read about that here:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/supervisa-how.asp
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I apply for a Parent/Grandparent Super Visa and get it, and then go to Canada, get married to Guy while there, and he sponsors me to immigrate to Canada, will I be told I have to leave Canada after 2 years or will I be able to get an extension until I am landed immigrant?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Once the application for spousal sponsorship has been started you will not be told to leave Canada unless you commit some criminal offence or work illegally. In fact you can be sponsored from within Canada without legal status if this is a spousal sponsorship. But if during that time you leave Canada you won't likely be able to re-enter until you get your PR status as you cannot enter with the intention of remaining.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So am I correct in assuming that I will need to buy health insurance in Canada for at least 3 years until I am landed immigrant? I am just trying to cover all my bases here, as I am a diabetic. You have been very helpful.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Yes you will. As a visitor you cannot get publicly funded health coverage.