With regards ***** ***** software start up company, what things can…

Customer Question
With regards ***** ***** software...
With regards ***** ***** software start up company, what things can you "patent" or protect? Can you patent or protect the idea of the company? For instance, if I was Airbnb when it was starting would I have been able to patent my online marketplace for Airbnb
and/or the manner in which I set it up. I am basically interested in the ways in which you can protect an idea and the costs associated with that protection.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/8/2015
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
I cannot answer you by telephone. The rules of my Law Society prohibit this as you are not my client. Should I answer you by posting on this site?I am asking now because I can see this question has been sitting and no one has answered so far which is unusual.
Posting on the site works for me, or by email:***@******.***
Curious as to why the Law Society prohibits you from using the telephone but not email when responding to those other than your client. Is it because it isn't traceable? I realize this is a second question so feel free to ignore it but I am just curious.
I can answer your second question first. When we post online we are clearly just providing general legal information. However, once we engage in telephone conversation with you the line blurs as to what becomes practicing law or providing legal advice. There are several rules that we would need to comply with if we were to practice law or provide legal advice. One is that we would need to identify you by having you provide me with identifying documentation such as a passport, and then I would need to make a copy of this and keep it for my records. I would also have to do a conflict search to make sure that I have never in the past acted for another party involved in this matter. As well, I could not do this through the site as there is a rule against splitting fees with a non-lawyer. In terms of your substantive question, you actually cannot copyright an idea. You can copyright a website, artwork, a log, and even branding, but you cannot copyright an idea. So for example someone can think of a great plot for a book but that cannot be copyrighted until the book has been written. Does that answer your questions?
If it was clear that I wanted to discuss something over the phone that did not entail legal advice in anyway would that be okay from your end. I understand the need to provide info if you are providing advice, but if I was just to, for example, inquire about who you worked for, what you did, your experiences etc. would you be able to do that?As for the answer, that does help me a bit. Could I extend the question one step further and ask how one goes about copyrighting a name and or branding? Also the approximate cost to doing so?
I cannot have direct contact with you at all, I am sorry about that.
I am just looking for the additional information and I will be back in a minute with it.
I understand. Just would like a bit more of an explanation why?
Here is the best site to review. It's the government site and will have all the information you will need including the process and fees:
http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipoInternet-Internetopic.nsf/eng/h_wr02281.html
Debra, Lawyer