CaptanLaw
CaptanLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  I'm a criminal defence lawyer, who assists individuals charged with crimes.
70715533

I have been contacted by a police detective. I guess about

Customer Question

I have been contacted by a police detective. I guess about 6 months ago, I had sold a laptop online that ended up being stolen. I buy and sell comptures as well as repair them as well as some furniture when work slows down to make extra cash as I am a painter. The detective contacted me and wants me to take a lie detector test. As he thinks I know more then what I am telling him. Due to the fact that I was arrested in a break n enter ring in 1998. I have changed a lot since then but I want to know do I have to take this test and if not what if anything can be do to me?? Thanks
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  CaptanLaw replied 2 years ago.
HelloI am a criminal defence lawyer and can assist you with your inquiry. As you're aware, pursuant to the Terms of Service, we are not permitted to provide specific legal advice. We are allowed only to provide general legal information that relates to your situation. If you are seeking specific advice, you will have to consult with a criminal lawyer in your area. However, the information you receive could be sufficient to allow you to make a decision about what you want to do. The most important piece of legal information you should know is that the police cannot compel you to take part in a polygraph (lie detector) test. Additionally, the results of the test, or your refusal to participate, are inadmissible in evidence at a criminal trial in Canada. Typically, the police rely on this test to attempt to elicit information from a suspect which may / may not lead to criminal charges laid. I hope this information helps.