How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101418
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being harassed by the original owner of a debt, they contacted

Customer Question

I am being harassed by the original owner of a debt, they contacted family and friends and have disclosed the debt to at least 10 people. Is there anything I can do to stop this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
This person is not covered by the act because the acts covers collection agencies only. But, the person is acting unlawfully if they are harassing you so, you should keep an accurate log of their attempts to communicate with you and others and, as well, have proof in writing that you demanded that they cease and desist these communications at once. If they do not stop you should ask the police to charge this person with harassment. If the police will not do this then your next step would be to retain a lawyer to send them a letter demanding that they cease and desist and threatening a lawsuit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any recourse I can do with the damage they have already done? Or is it dependent on what happens next.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Is the damage because they told people about the debt, or is it because of the persistent harassment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Persistent harassment, the individual has contacted my friends and family whom she has never met and has called and text everyday for the last week. It is starting to cause issues with my relationships, as well as with my work due to the persistent calling.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it may be possible to seek damages, as you have already incurred them due to this persistent harassment. However, it would be hard to quantify the damages, so whether it is worth suing for them or not is hard to say.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much, you have been extremely helpful.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.