How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100050
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There, I am looking to move from the US to Canada. My

Customer Question

Hello there, I am looking to move from the US to Canada. My girlfriend lives in Canada and we plan on getting married next year. I've been in Canada since March and I wanted to know what I need to do in order to extend my visa for another 6 months (my
current visa, as stamped in my passport, expires September 28). Please let me know what steps I need to take to make this happen. Thanks, ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
You can apply to Canada immigration to extend your visit for another six months. Or, you can leave for a short while and then try to come back. This generally works if this is the first time you are taking this approach. At the same time you should know that you will have to be able to prove that you have strong ties to back home before you are able to reenter. Therefore you should be prepared to show that you have a job at home, ties to the community at home, a family, a house, etc.

Related Canada Law Questions