How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100425
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son, a US citizen living in California, is to marry his

Customer Question

My son, a US citizen living in California, is to marry his Canadian (Quebec) fiance in Montreal on 7/25. His fiance's father is insisting on a marriage agreement under the matrimonial regime of separation as to property (there are family shares in a private company) and has a lawyer involved. How can my son get legal advice on whether or not to agree to the proposal (which he doesn't have yet)? Or on what to propose as an alternative? His fiance is essentially uninvolved. The two of them intend to spend ~6 months of each year in the US and Canada so at the moment there are no immigration issues.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
He will need to consult with a family lawyer in Quebec. He would take the drafted marriage contract and a list of his assets and debts and consult with the lawyer. What you can do to find him a lawyer is one of the following things.You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and ca nconsult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be $30.Here is the contact information you will need: you can check on a site called lexpert. This is a legal directory of leading lawyers and law firms throughout Canada and is well-respected by the legal community.Here's the link to their website:

Related Canada Law Questions