Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

It's about LMIA in northern Ontario, how long I have to work

Customer Question

It's about LMIA in northern Ontario, how long I have to work for the same company after getting a positive LMIA from employer?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
There is no time limit. You can leave at once but you cannot work unless you get another job offer and another positive LMIA.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So it means I need another job offer to get hired at any other workplace after? Like I can't get hired on regular basis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And if I quit right after getting a LMIA, HOW does it effects the company I'm working for?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Your work permit is restricted so you can only work for that employer. It won't hurt the employer in terms of being able to get another LMIA for someone else if that is what you are asking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh thanks! And what if got my permanent resident, my work permit ll still be restricted. Or I can work anywhere after?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Then you won't need a permit at all!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Perfect! Does number of employees matter in LMIA process? And you said it doesn't hurt employer or his company in any way right? Sounds good! Thank you sir.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
The number employees doesn't matter. You are correct in you understanding. Good luck.