Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I work hospital who has changed my position from "Casual

Customer Question

I work for a hospital who has changed my position from "Casual to Part Time" apparently because of a new union. I have now been informed that instead of being committed to one 8 hour shift per week and on-call for additional shifts (With an option to say no), they will schedule us into any day. Once the scheduling is complete (Without any input from the employee), the employee is committed to work these days/nights up to 75 hours in two weeks. If unable to work any of the scheduled days, the employee is responsible to not only find their own replacement but to exchange a shift with another employee of the same qualifications. I can not reduce my hours by giving away a shift. Is this legal (and ethical)? I am 69 years old with a disabled husband who has many specialist app'ts and can not commit to that many hours. I also used to be given priority on shifts because of seniority and this apparently no longer applies.Please advise.***@******.***
Thank you
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Have you spoken to the new union?Are you sure there is a new union and not a new collective agreement?