How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100408
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been separated since dec 31 2012.. Had a written separation

Customer Question

I have been separated since dec 31 2012.. Had a written separation agreement my ex and I followed but not signed but he is now engaged and we r going through with divorce.. He served me with a copy of separation agreement and I feel there is some grey areas but I am running out of time to get to Prince george to find a laywer and make changes.. Can I sign it to get the divorce process going and make changes later or should I contact his laywer stating my changes and wishes
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
No you cannot sign a document you don't agree to. That is not possible and it can harm you terribly. They cannot give you a deadline to pressure you into signing and in fact it is not in anyone's best interests for you not to get independent legal advice. So tell the lawyer that you are not signing anything until you have your own lawyer and perhaps get names of lawyer that this lawyer knows who may be available to take you on as a client now.

Related Canada Law Questions