How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100964
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A former roommate owes me $1,800 rent and is now avoiding

Customer Question

A former roommate owes me $1,800 for past rent and is now avoiding me in every way. I know he is working and has purchased two vehicles and has gone on a vacation. I have all the saved texts from him acknowledging he owes me and we had worked out a payment plan, but he has yet to actually start paying me. I would like to know what I should be doing to kickstart his paying?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
What you should do is send him a letter by Registered Mail and in the letter give him a deadline for paying you. Tell him that if he fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and your costs. You can sue him in Small Claims Court and can self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.