I am a landlord with a family living in a duplex first floor. Our…

Customer Question
I am a landlord with...
I am a landlord with a family living in a duplex first floor.
Our new tenants signed a lease and was advertised as a non smoking building. We we verbally assured the same.
A week into their first month, we are saturatated with smoke from morning to night and incents permeating everything.
Our family (3 kids my wife) and me are feeling the affect constantly, we were than told when we confronted them that the lady has a licence to smoke pot for her pain. We also believe that the smoke is much worse than cigarettes and pot, we suspect it may be narcotics
What can we do
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/22/2015
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
You can seek to evict them for breaching the lease. The lease is a binding contract and they signed it agreeing that there would not be any smoking in the building.So you can tell them that if they smoke again you will seek to evict them. I suggest contacting the Regie for some advice:http://www.rdl.gouv.qc.ca/en/droits/droits.asp