I am requesting advice whether I am able to pursue a case under

Customer Question
Canadian marital law regarding a...
I am requesting advice whether I am able to pursue a case under Canadian marital law regarding a large sum of monetary loans (NZ$83k) that I lent to a Hong Kong citizen who I was in a 5+yr romantic relationship with.
During our relationship she married a Canadian citizen in Australia without revealing this (her marriage) to me. She had been married for 5months when she asked me for financial assistance to build a house in China, which I granted to her in a series of loans with the intention of future repayment.
I am asking whether I can pursue a case against her Canadian husband to recover these loans or some of the value of these loans by seizing or gaining a court order against some of his Canadian assets, i.e. is her debt obtained by deception now "shared responsibility" with her husband?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/22/2015
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
This is not about matrimonial law and her husband cannot be any party to any action unless you loaned the money to him. In Canada no spouse is liable for the debt of another spouse as between the creditor and the spouse. You would have to sue her unfortunately. I am sorry this happened to you.
Hi legal ease , I hope your day is going well thanks for your answer . What do you think I sould or could do about her fraudulent behaviour (to do with BC law) and what is the procedure? 18 payments were made to her bank account 17 of the payments were made to her after she was married , at this time she had only been married for
5 months . I have the international money transfers (18) from my bank , emails to and from her with some very good reading !! I only found out about her marriage by a mistaken call from her husband in Canada , he was curious about this NZ phone
He was in shock and disbelief like I was. I am sure he did not know about her fraudulent behaviour , and it appears she borrowed money from him as well , he told me
recently, he had not seen or heard from her for over 4 months (or since she was exposed of the deception. Thanks
I am not sure you will be able to succeed in getting the money back. She is a scammer and clearly a good one and you are her victim. I honestly don't think there is anything you can do though I sure wish there was.
Debra, Lawyer