How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100964
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Texts and pictures of me are being circulated online and via

Customer Question

Texts and pictures of me are being circulated online and via email without my permission. How can I stop it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
How are the people getting the pictures of you ? Aree these texts that you sent to someone else?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I sent them.
The pictures are being emailed.
I received an email also saying that they are on
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
But how does the person take a picture of you?Is the photograph of you in some embarrassing position?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I took the pictures and texted them to someone. he then emailed them to several people and claims to have posted them online.

Yes. They are not nude photos but are suggestive.

I am grateful for your help but this matter is URGENT

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I requested URGENT assistance. Please, I require URGENT assistance.
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear this.Unfortunately, the texts are not private because you texted them to this person so he has the right to post your text online.While there is no intellectual property rights in an image there is in a photograph and he is breaching your copyright of the photos that you hold because you took them. for this reason I suggest that you tell him that if he does not remove the photos from his posts online you will retain a lawyer and sue him to get an order to have the photos removed and for damages.You can tell him that because you took the photos you hold the intellectual property rights to these photos and do not consent to him using them in any way especially online.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is American Can I file a DMCA notice?

I cannot find the images online so do not have the URLs to the images.

They were sent via email to strangers at my husband's work.

Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure if that will work. He will ignore you. I suggest you pay a lawyer to write him a letter. That will likely scare him into removing any photos that have been posted, if they even have been.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What type of lawyer?
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Any lawyer can write the letter. Seeing a lawyer that does civil litigation would be best but it's not vital.