How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2415
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I moved to BC Canada from the UK 12 years ago. I had no

Customer Question

When I moved to BC Canada from the UK 12 years ago. I had no idea that there were some Cities that had by- laws limiting the number of dogs you were able to keep. There are no stipulations like this in the UK if you owned a detached property. I have five
dogs and the City by law enforcement officer has written to me to say that if I do not re home 2 of my dogs by 15th July I will be fined. I understand that this could be up to $1000 per day. This is a terrible situation because my dogs are very old (11 years)
some deaf and one with failing sight, and I have had them since they were a couple months old. Is there any way that I am able to fight this? I am 61 years old and this is having a very adverse effect on my mental health, in that my GP has given me medication
to treat depression, anxiety etc
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 2 years ago.
HelloI see that in the UK the number of animals is now heating up. But you have been here for 12 years with plenty of time to learn. Since ignorance of the law is no excuse, another angle must be found.How long have these dogs been on the property? Of particular interest are the last two that apparently put you over the limit. Where do you live?Thanks,Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The dogs have been on the property for 10 or 11 years. I live in Pitt meadows. I have two dogs registered in Burnaby and three registered in Pitt Meadows, but I have only recently registered the two dogs in Burnaby.
Expert:  Tom B. replied 2 years ago.
So it is Pitt Meadows driving this exclusion?Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is, as a result from a neighbour complaint about noisy dogs disturbing the peace of the neighbourhood, which was due to an unfortunate fence breach incident by our dogs. These are relatively new neighbours (2 years approx), no problems with their predecessors or them until they got a dog themselves (1 year approx). The noisy dogs complaint is bogus, merely a means to an end following a verbal threat to make our lives miserable if we did not move. We met with Bylaw, officer agreed a plan to satisfy the "noise" issue by engaging trainers (demonstrating co-operation). Now City moving to reduce over limit issue.
Expert:  Tom B. replied 2 years ago.
It appears Pitt Meadows made changes in 2013-14Here is a lin under Dog control.So the limit is now three without a kennel license. I have not researched how to do that but I imagine it is not an easy process.The only options I see are to go further with a kennel application or to seek a grandfather clause from Council itself. You have a perfect right as a citizen to ask Council for consideration. Indeed, contact your own counselor and express your dismay. Otherwise, you have to fight in court over this. That will require you to at least talk to a Municipal Law Lawyer. Here is a link to he Lawyer Referral Service. Ask for a lawyer who practices Municipal Law and you will get a few who have agreed to consult at $25 and most do not even bother. You may consult with one or all. the bylaw is against you. It is up to you to challenge at the political level by contacting a counselor or pleading to Council or challenging the bylaw in court.No easy fix.Thank you for your question. I hope I assisted even though I cannot assure your success on your facts.Sincerely, Tom

Related Canada Law Questions