How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a tenant in common with a friend. We both own the

Customer Question

Hello, I am a tenant in common with a friend. We both own the property 50/50 but I have put and extra 30,000 into renovations. At this point if we were to sell I would suffer a big loss. On the property there is one main house that she lives in and a 5th wheel travel trailer that I have been living in. I have been building a home for myself but it is still 15,000 dollars from completion. My friend would like me to buy her out but at this point it is not possible. What should I do? Can she force me to sell? I am able to carry the mortgage on my own but cannot secure the lending as yet.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
Why would you suffer a big loss? For example do you think you are only entitled to 50% of the equity? Is she paying rent to you?

Related Canada Law Questions