I'm a Canad***** *****ving in the UAE. I have a large loan (USD…

Customer Question
I'm a Canad***** *****ving in...
I'm a Canad***** *****ving in the UAE. I have a large loan (USD 500,000) from a UAE bank. The money is invested in real estate in Canada. I would like to ask if the UAE bank can sue me and have a valid legal case to collect this money in Canada from me. This is in the case I stop making payments on the loan. I hear from many people that because of differences between the law in the UAE and in Canada they cannot prosecute me in Canada. This matter would be considered a criminal offence in the UAE and would carry a prison sentence.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Canada Law
6/16/2015
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 3 years ago
Debra, Lawyer
Canada will not prosecute you but the most assuredly can sue you in UAE and then seek to have the judgment enforced in Canada.Once the Court in Canada recognizes the judgment it can be enforced in Canada just as if they sued you in Canada. Then your property could be seized, as could other assets and your wages could be garnished.
But would a Canadian court recognize a judgement from a court system in another country which does not have bilateral agreementa with Canada ?
They likely would. It would not be as simple as just registering the judgment. But it is rare for a court not to recognize a judgment so long as it is clear that the plaintiff sued you in the correct jurisdiction. There would be more to prove and they would need to retain a lawyer in Ontario but for that amount of money I cannot see them forgetting about it.