How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101364
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Current girlfriends ex-husband is a police officer and emails

Customer Question

Current girlfriends ex-husband is a police officer and emails her with threats about breaking my neck, using profanity and calling me names. What recourse do I have?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear this. What is likely best is for you to first consult with a lawyer face to face and have the lawyer assist you in reporting this. This police officer can be charged and can also be disciplined. He is committing an offence by threatening to kill you.And you should not have to be afraid of reporting him because of his job. After all, you have proof in email.But having a lawyer help will mean that this cannot be swept under the table by the police. The lawyer will know how to speak to the police in a way that protects you and also makes it clear that this is not going to be ignored because he is a police officer.You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free. The number is:1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-####(within the GTA)